Sunday, June 10, 2007

Food for Thought

In January 2006, Craig Alger shared his desire to gather the family together for a reunion. He recalled fond memories of joining with our many cousins, uncles, and aunts for the annual events of the 60s. More than 30 years ago, we bonded together once a year at a huge picnic in San Bruno, CA and unknowingly created memories.

Eight months later, after hours of searching for relatives and planning, we joined in Rohnert Park CA. We gathered as strangers and left as family!

Many who attended the 2006 reunion had expressed feelings of apprehension, uncertainty, and strong negative feelings prior to the event. Those same family members were surprised to find those feelings replaced with a strong connective bond and a hunger to know more of our extended family.

In the introduction of the Alger Family History Book Daniel Alger wrote the following:

Last year when I received an invitation to the Alger Family Reunion in Rohnert Park, California from my cousin Denise Gallagher, I politely declined. Whatever positive memories I had from my youth were blocked by less favorable memories dominated by relatives that abused or suffered from the effects and stranglehold alcohol had on their lives. There was one cousin I truly wanted to see, but was told she would not be attending.

My father’s reaction to the reunion was quite different. He wanted to attend and looked forward to seeing friends and family. He is the last of the children of James and Harriet. As the youngest of twelve, he always looked up to older siblings and parents. Now he stood alone as the official patriarch of the family. I decided to go to the reunion because I wanted to support my father in his desire to attend.

When I arrived at the reunion, I was surprised with my own reaction. I met cousins and family members that I had not seen in decades. Some I remembered through the eyes of a twelve year old, others I had no memory of at all. I discovered that I had a strong connection with extended family and truly enjoyed the small amount of time I had with them. We shared stories and memories (mostly fond memories that I had forgotten or buried). I found that I was missing this connection in my life. I wanted to hear more stories, learn more about everyone's life and family. My cousin Susan was there. She had been a big part of my life growing up and I had not seen her in 27 years. I was able to spend time with her catching up on the past three decades and to ask forgiveness for weaknesses of my youth.

Please confirm your attendance at the reunion and give us the pleasure of your company!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Great site. We are excited to attend. My mom (Sharon Alger Richmond) has talked about a lot about it. Will check back often.